[daip] AIPS version question for you Re: AIPS without rsync? (fwd)

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 14 13:36:50 EST 2008

Susan Neff writes:

 > I think I got the 31Dec07 version installed on the laptop (I did the binary
 > installation for the faster performance promised by your compilers
 > (although
 > it isn't seeing my existing data areas ("disks") or the printers yet.
 > Can't we
 > just copy that to my BigMac?  It starts up okay, and the TV works (usually
 > the part that causes the biggest headaches!).

     Macs are not all the same - there are Intel and PPC Macs which
use entirely different load modules and data areas (the byte order is
opposite for the 2).  I suspect that you have this issue.

 > Eric, I wanted to do the frozen version since we have these stupid firewall
 > problems and can't run the midnight job.  I figured I should get a
 > "standard"
 > issue so if there were problems, then you or other folks there would know
 > what I had.   If there is not much difference, then I guess I could
 > reinstall
 > the 31Dec08 version on the laptop - I DO want to have the same version
 > running on both computers whichever one it is.

   Frozen one is okay too - I just made a public ftp area version of
31DEC07 as well from which your sys admin can build an aips of any
supported architecture.  We will be working on trying to provide a
more general solution to this problem.  But I regularly work at a site
that does not allow ftp through its firewall.  ncftp does work (logs
you all the way in as anonymous) for fetching files.  Our Linux boxes
does not even have ncftp.  So this firewall business is going to be a
general headache for us - although you are the first site to prohibit
rsync.

Eric Greisen