[daip] exporting AIPS datasets

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 19 10:24:57 EDT 2007

Luciano Cerrigone writes:
 > Hello,
 > some weeks ago I had to replace the hard drive in my laptop, because
 > the old one suddenly died. In my new hard drive I have installed the
 > latest version of AIPS, while in my old one I used to have a 31DEC2005
 > version. My data on the old hard drive have been recovered.
 >
 > My question is:  How do I need to set up my directories for my new AIPS
 > to be able to read the old  datasets? I don't mean old archive
 > datasets but the datasets that had already been loaded and reduced
 > in my older AIPS.
 >
 > Please, let me know if I haven't made myself clear.

Since you are on the same computer there should be no problem at all.
 The directories that contain aips data are simpkly listed in the file
$AIPS_ROOT/DADEVS.LIST and generally need to have the name of the
computer in their name,  If you told install.pl that you are on a
laptop, then the host name is LOCALHOST.  What I often do is to make
link files in $AIPS_ROOT/DATA, e.g.
       cd $AIPS_ROOT/DATA
       ln -s any-old-directory-name1 LOCALHOST_1
       ln -s any-old-directory-name2 LOCALHOST_2
       ln -s any-old-directory-name3 LOCALHOST_3

Then in DADEVS.LIST I put

-  /home/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
-  /home/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_2
-  /home/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_3

where a real path name has to be put in for $AIPS_ROOT (and i put
/home/AIPS in the example above).

Let me know more if you still have problems.

Cheers,