[daip] AIPS servers "already running"

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 1 11:11:57 EDT 2007

Andrzej Marecki writes:
 > Dear Eric et al.
 >
 > This is perhaps something trivial, so I'm sorry to bother you with such a
 > well-known and already-solved problem, but...
 >
 > 1. I'm logging to one of our AIPS (Linux) machines with ssh.
 > 2. Being logged there, I launch AIPS with "aips tv=local"
 > 3. The XAS, MSG and TK servers do not pop up, however. Instead, I get:
 >
 > UNIXSERVERS: XAS3 is already running on host protostar, display localhost:10.0, user [other user name]
 > UNIXSERVERS: TKSRV3 is already running on host protostar, display localhost:10.0, user [other user name]
 > UNIXSERVERS: MSSRV3 is already running on host protostar, display localhost:10.0, user [other user name]
 >
 > Well, in fact, another user is already logged in there in the *same* manner.
 > The (naive) question though is: "so what?". Why cannot n users have their
 > own XAS1, XAS2,...XASn etc. on the same machine?

Because each uses a file in /tmp as the socket of a name XAS.n.display
(etc).  I would not be suprised if both of you asked for the same
display (localhost:10.0).  If you want a new display, follow the
instructions in the aips man page - available through man outside
aips, help aips inside aips, and the CookBook chapter 2.  Tell it
aips tv=local:0 and it will find an unused number and give it to you.
(In this way, users can also have more than one TV display).  You can
get even more control over this - see the man page.