[daip] AIPS servers "already running"

Andrzej Marecki amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
Mon Oct 1 05:02:51 EDT 2007

Dear Eric et al.

This is perhaps something trivial, so I'm sorry to bother you with such a
well-known and already-solved problem, but...

1. I'm logging to one of our AIPS (Linux) machines with ssh.
2. Being logged there, I launch AIPS with "aips tv=local"
3. The XAS, MSG and TK servers do not pop up, however. Instead, I get:

UNIXSERVERS: XAS3 is already running on host protostar, display localhost:10.0, user [other user name]
UNIXSERVERS: TKSRV3 is already running on host protostar, display localhost:10.0, user [other user name]
UNIXSERVERS: MSSRV3 is already running on host protostar, display localhost:10.0, user [other user name]

Well, in fact, another user is already logged in there in the *same* manner.
The (naive) question though is: "so what?". Why cannot n users have their
own XAS1, XAS2,...XASn etc. on the same machine?

--
Andrzej
Andrzej Marecki                |
Torun Centre for Astronomy     |   e-mail: amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
N. Copernicus University       |   WWW:    http://www.astro.uni.torun.pl
ul. Gagarina 11                |   tel: +48 56 6113032
PL-87-100 Torun, POLAND        |   fax: +48 56 6113009