[daip] AIPS help

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 19 15:40:57 EDT 2007

Melanie Gendre writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm having some issues with AIPS. I am reading the cookbook and trying to
 > see the data I have on my disk, but I can't.
 >
 > My data are in the directory ~/Research/1.3Jy_Sample/VLAobservation/test
 > and are named AB534_1  AB534_2  AB534_3
 > They are data I downloaded from the archives.

     A good start.  You then need to point at this directory with an
environment variable, e.g.
     cd ~~/Research/1.3Jy_Sample/VLAobservation/test
     MYDATA=`pwd`
note the back ticks which cause the command to return its output.
then run aips.  Set the inputs to fillm as you have them except

infile 'MYDATA:AB534_'

Then tell aips to run FILLM (with verb GO).  I do not know that you
did that essential part - you do not mention it below.  FILLM will put
messages in the message terminal window (or the xterm in which you are
running) which will tell you about its success or troubles.

> [...]
 > START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
 >   (Using global default file /home/mgendre/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
 > DADEVS.PL)
 >    Disk 1 (1) is /home/mgendre/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
 >
 > Reading through the cookbook, I tried to use the task FILLM with the
 > following inputs:
 >
 > AIPS 1: FILLM     Task to read a VLA archive tape
 > AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
 > AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
 > AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape drive number
 > AIPS 1: INFILE     'AB534_'                Non-blank: disk file name
 > AIPS 1: NFILES        0                    Number of files to advance
 > AIPS 1:                                    Also applies to ON-LINE!
 > AIPS 1: BAND       'X'                     Freq. band (4,P,L,C,X,U,K,Q)
 > AIPS 1: QUAL         -1                    Source qualifier -1=>all
 > AIPS 1: CALCODE    ' '                     Calibrator code
 > AIPS 1: VLAOBS     'AB534'                 VLA obs. pgm. name ('AZ99')
 > AIPS 1: VLAMODE    ' '                     VLA obs. mode ('  '=any)
 > AIPS 1: REFDATE    ' '                     Reference date. 'yyyymmdd'
 > AIPS 1: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Timerange selected
 > AIPS 1: BCHAN         1                    First spectral channel
 > AIPS 1: ECHAN         0                    Highest spectral channel
 > AIPS 1: OUTNAME    'TESTFILE'              Output UV file name (name)
 > AIPS 1: OUTSEQ        0                    Output UV file name (seq. #)
 > AIPS 1: OUTDISK       1                    Output UV file disk unit #.
 > AIPS 1: DOUVCOMP      1                    1 (T) => compressed data
 > AIPS 1: DOALL         1                    1 (T) => write all data.
 > AIPS 1:                                    7 => FQ entry tolerance (kHz)
 > AIPS 1:                                         (see HELP)
 > AIPS 1:                                    8 => CL table time incr. min
 > AIPS 1:                                    9 => TY table time incr. min
 > AIPS 1:                                    10=> Calibrator avg. time
 > AIPS 1: DPARM      *all 0                  Selection by Frequency
 > AIPS 1:                                    1+2 => A Frequency (Hz)
 > AIPS 1:                                    3+4 => B Frequency (Hz)
 > AIPS 1:                                    5+6 => C Frequency (Hz)
 > AIPS 1:                                    7+8 => D Frequency (Hz)
 > AIPS 1:                                    9 => tolerance for A&C
 > AIPS 1:                                    10 => tolerance for B&D
 > AIPS 1: BPARM      *all 0                  Opacity and Gain curve
 > AIPS 1:                                    control (see help)
 > AIPS 1: IN2FILE    *all ' '                Antenna gains file
 >
 > I then typed "catalog" and "indi 0;ucat" to see if AIPS was seeing my data
 > and both time, I got nothing:
 > AIPS 1: Catalog on disk  1
 > AIPS 1:  Cat Usid Mapname      Class   Seq  Pt     Last access Stat

Do this after FILLM has run and completed - the GO is essential.

 > I tried adding the directory in which my data are to the DADEVS.LIST file,
 > but it told me that
 > /home/mgendre/Research/1.3Jy_Sample/VLAobservation/test is currently
 > unavailable.

    The raw data files are not aips files directly and should normally
not be in the same area.

 > Am I missing something? Should I put my data somewhere else?

So far as I can tell you did not actually run FILLM so that is what is
missing.  Run it and see what it says.