[daip] forwarded message from Eric Greisen

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 16 15:47:14 EDT 2007

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu>
To: Nissim Kanekar <nkanekar at aoc.nrao.edu>
Cc: daips at aoc.nrao.edu
Subject: Re: AIPS across VNC ?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:09:09 -0600

Nissim Kanekar writes:

 > Hi Eric,
 >
 > I'm trying to run AIPS across a remote VNC connection (which is much
 > faster than a direct ssh-based display across the net) but have run into a
 > problem with the display variables, with the TV, MESG and TEK servers not
 > opening at all. The problem seems to lie in the TVDISP, etc, variables,
 > when the DISPLAY variable is hostname:N, as is the case for a VNC
 > connection. I've tried forcing the TVDISP, TVHOST, etc to hostname:N, but
 > they seem to get re-assigned to :0 in the START_TVSERVERS script. Was
 > wondering if you happen to know a way around this.

I need to understand better what you mean here.

I am assuming you are sitting at desktop and want to compute on
server.  Does desktop run aips?  In other words are tasks on server
talking to XAS on desktop or to XAS on server with display on desktop?

Given that I have never heard of VNC it is totally not suprising that
this does not work.  What command are you using to start aips?

Eric Greisen