[daip] Problem with Athalon CPU

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 16 16:36:17 EDT 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:15:06 -0600, Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu> said:

> Nanni Mauro writes:

>> We are useing AIPS  (31DEC07 - 31DEC06)  with  PC Computer
>> OS   Linux  Fedora   Core 3 - 4 - 5 - 6.
>> On the Athalon CPU  we have problem with TV tasks.
>> With IMAGER  or  TVWIN  the speed of the graphic pointer
>> is very very slow,  and decrease with the use/time.  Became unusable in
>> a short time.
>> On Intel CPU we do not have these problems.

Here are some issues to explore:

   * Do both CPUs have identical graphics cards?

   * Is the Open source X driver or a proprietary one in use on the
       display machine?  Both nVidia and ATI offer (fast) proprietary
       drivers that work well with the X11 (Xorg or XFree86) system.

   * If running AIPS and the X display on the same machine, is shared
     memory definitely being used (and released?  See "ipcs -m").

Any of these can make a *huge* difference on display performance.

 - Pat (still lurking on "daip" after all these years...)

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.   Senior Software Engineer, ALMA Computing IPT
 NRAO Computing Security Manager       Head, NRAO WebAdmin Working Group