[daip] Problem with TPMON on 31DEC07

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 16 10:50:05 EST 2007

Barry Branch writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > We are using the Intel binary version of 31DEC07 on Scientific Linux 4.4
 > (a RedHat EL4 clone) and receive the following error when starting aips:
 >
 > 	TPMON1: error while loading shared libraries: libsvml.so: cannot
 > 	open shared object file: No such file or directory
 >
 > I've  tracked this down to TPMON.exe being setuid aips and using
 > LD_LIBRARY_PATH to dynamically load the Intel compiler libraries.
 >
 > >From the man page for ld.so:
 >
 >        The shared libraries needed by the program are searched for in
 >        various places: ...
 >
 >        o      Using the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Except if
 >               the executable is a setuid/setgid binary, in which  case
 >               it is ignored.
 >
 > I see three workarounds for this issue:
 >
 > 1) Remove the setuid bit from TPMON.

       We do this for local reasons - I did not realize that this was
passed on to the outside world.  By all means delete this bit.  (By
setting this, anyone can start aips and so tpmon but anyone, by
logging in as aips, can stop a hung tpmon.)

 > 2) Compile TPMON.exe with the compiler option -i-static which will
 >    statically link only the Intel libraries into the program. Then you
 >    can remove the $AIPS_VERSION/$ARCH/LIBR/INTELCMP libraries from the
 >    distribution.

       This would add at least 1 Gbyte to the binary distribution
unless we had some way to compile TPMON differently.

 > 3) Add $AIPS_VERSION/$ARCH/LIBR/INTELCMP to the system ld.so.conf file

        I do not even know about this option - but assume it would be
yet another thing requiring root and so a burden I would hate to add
to the installation.

 > Can option #1 be safely done? I notice the setuid bit wasn't set on our
 > locally gcc compiled 31DEC05 version.

I will see what I can do to remove tha setuid from the distributed
codes.

Thanks for the quality debugging.