[daip] Classic AIPS 31DEC07 installation problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 15 18:28:44 EST 2007

Michael Dahlem writes:
  We3 prefer tat people use aipsmail or daip (synonyms actually) to my
personal e-mail because I am away at times.  I thought that that was
obvious but I will look again...

 > After upgrading my operating system from FC4 to FC6 on a Dell
 > Intel laptop, I have just installed 31DEC07. Everything went
 > fine (as far as I can tell) up to, and including, INSTEP 4.
 >
 > Only then I was asked for a password, typed in AMANAGER, then
 > an error message scrolled past, but the installation continued
 > and a message said that it was all done. However, when I try
 > to start up AIPS, I run into the following problem (31DEC07 is
 > defined as the TST version):

 > AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE TSTMEM:MED000000;        NOT FOUND

 > AIPS 1: DISK PROBLEM   CODES:       2      0
 >  >mc
 > AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       MC
 >

 > 12 has always been my user ID. That cannot be the problem.
 > I don't know what's wrong. The "disk" (directory) exists and
 > there are files in it (from the previous AIPS version). At the
 > command line AIPS does not read any input, as can be seen from
 > the error message returned on the "mc" input.
 >
 > Do you have a clue what is wrong (most likely operator error)?
 > Or what other information should I send to make things clearer?
 >
 > Many thanks in advance for your help!

It appears that those error messages you did not catch are significant
- since FILAIP is supposed to create the TSTMEM file which was not
found and then POPSGN is supposed to initialize it.

Try

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH         (or  . LOGIN.SH  for bash shell)
$CDTST

RUN FILAIP
AMANAGER
4 2

RUN POPSGN
0 POPSDAT TST
<cr>

and be sure to catch what it says.  That AIPS.EXE started suggestes
that the INSTEP4 actually worked okay but this final bit had trouble.