[daip] Problem with TPMON on 31DEC07

Barry Branch barry at fiu.edu
Thu Feb 15 15:14:22 EST 2007

Hello,

We are using the Intel binary version of 31DEC07 on Scientific Linux 4.4
(a RedHat EL4 clone) and receive the following error when starting aips:

	TPMON1: error while loading shared libraries: libsvml.so: cannot

I've  tracked this down to TPMON.exe being setuid aips and using
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to dynamically load the Intel compiler libraries.

>From the man page for ld.so:

       The shared libraries needed by the program are searched for in
       various places: ...

       o      Using the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Except if
              the executable is a setuid/setgid binary, in which  case
              it is ignored.

I see three workarounds for this issue:

1) Remove the setuid bit from TPMON.

2) Compile TPMON.exe with the compiler option -i-static which will
   statically link only the Intel libraries into the program. Then you
   can remove the $AIPS_VERSION/$ARCH/LIBR/INTELCMP libraries from the
   distribution.

3) Add $AIPS_VERSION/$ARCH/LIBR/INTELCMP to the system ld.so.conf file

Can option #1 be safely done? I notice the setuid bit wasn't set on our
locally gcc compiled 31DEC05 version.

Thanks,

Barry Branch