[daip] AIPS with lots of spectral channels

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 3 17:36:13 EDT 2006

Chris Phillips writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I am trying to process some spectral line polarimetry data with
 > 4 polarisations and 8192 spectral points. After some "googling" it seems
 > clear that some of the problems I am having is that the product is too
 > large for ($INC/PUVD.INC) MAXCIF which is set to 16384.
 >
 > I could recompile a few relevant tasks (UVCOP, DBCON etc) in a private
 > area (enough to reduce the # channels for calibration etc).
 >
 > I could also recompile the whole of aips with MAXCIF set to 32768
 > (4x8192). Would this have any significant negative impact on users with
 > less spectral points?

Selective recompilation will almost certainly not work.  The issue is
how much memory do people have in their computers.  If everyone has 1
Gbyte or so, then the negative impact will be slight.  I recommend a
full re-install but note that you must compile things locally which
will be slower than using the binaries from us.