[daip] Re: AIPS installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sun Mar 19 12:46:21 EST 2006

T.Nithyanandan writes:

 >   I was installing AIPS 31DEC06 on my UBUNTU linux system. I did the
 > binary installation. At the end of the installation, I find that TVSERV
 > works fine but the TEKSERV and MSGSERV fail to come up.
 >   As a matter of fact, they come up and flash for a fraction of a second
 > and then they disappear. I had also made the changes required in
 > /etc/services like adding those few lines. It doesn't seem to help.
 >   And there seems to be no error message in the AIPS terminal window
 > about these.

This has been a problem for us and sometimes we have not found a
solution.  We are attempting something that used to work all the time
- running a program in an xterm.  The things to try in order:

1. With a binary installation, you need to have a $LD_LIBRARY_PATH set
to include the run time libraries used by those binaries.  This means
that, depending on which shell you use, your .bashrc file must ".
$AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH" or your .tcshrc file must "source
$AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.CSH" for both interactive and non-interactive
invocations.  Try this first.

2. If that does not work, copy $SYSUNIX files XASERVERS and
UNIXSERVERS to your $SYSLOCAL.  Try it again.  That should still fail
- the 2 files have places where some code is commented out in favor of
some other.  Uncomment the commented one and comment the uncommented
one:  In XASERVERS the two code sections are

#                                       if command fails try
#      ($AIPS_TEK_EMULATOR -display $DISPLAY $AIPS_TEK_NAME_FLAG \
#                         $AIPS_TEK_EXE_FLAG '$LOAD/TEKSRV.EXE ; sleep 3 ' &)
#                                       ' ' marks not allowed by many
      ($AIPS_TEK_EMULATOR -display $DISPLAY $AIPS_TEK_NAME_FLAG \
                         $AIPS_TEK_EXE_FLAG $LOAD/TEKSRV.EXE &)

#                                       if command fails try
#      ($AIPS_MSG_EMULATOR -display $DISPLAY $AIPS_MSG_NAME_FLAG \
#                         $AIPS_MSG_EXE_FLAG '$LOAD/MSGSRV.EXE ; sleep 3 ' &)
#                                       ' ' marks not allowed by many
      ($AIPS_MSG_EMULATOR -display $DISPLAY $AIPS_MSG_NAME_FLAG \
                         $AIPS_MSG_EXE_FLAG $LOAD/MSGSRV.EXE &)

We have found that some systems require the quotes around the command
and some forbid the quotes and we have not been able to tell what
controls that.  Furthermore, I have hit systems that will not do
either.

Good luck - and please let me know how this comes out for you.  I
would love to solve this problem.