[daip] Re: AIPS installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 20 17:17:40 EST 2006

T.Nithyanandan writes:

 >   Here's what I found and did. First of all, I incidentally found that
 > before doing anything that you recommended, there was this isolated
 > error message on the command line in one of the other terminal windows
 > open while I  ran 'aips' from some other one. The exact outputs are in
 > italics for clarity. Here's the message:
 >
 > / nithya at alcyone:~$ zssslk: alcyone: UNKNOWN HOST/
 >
 > But the problem remained the same as described before.
 >
 > Now, I checked for the things in the order you specified. To make it
 > clearer, I also post some of the outputs:
 >
 > Thing 1.
 >   /nithya at alcyone:~$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 > /data/AIPS/AIPS_ROOT/31DEC06/LINUX/LIBR/INTELCMP:/data/AIPS/AIPS_ROOT/31DEC06/LINUX/LIBR/INTELCMP
 > nithya at alcyone:~$/
 >
 > The lines in my .bashrc relevant to AIPS are the following:
 >
 > /...
 > # AIPS definitions
 > AIPS_ROOT='/data/AIPS/AIPS_ROOT'
 > export AIPS_ROOT
 > . $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH
 >
 > /The .bashrc file looked like this already before any editing after you
 > wrote back to me.
 > So I made no changes to it.
 >
 > Thing 2. What my $SYSUNIX and $SYSLOCAL directories are
 >
 > /nithya at alcyone:~$ echo $SYSUNIX
 > /data/AIPS/AIPS_ROOT/31DEC06/SYSTEM/UNIX
 > nithya at alcyone:~$
 >
 > nithya at alcyone:~$ echo $SYSLOCAL
 > /data/AIPS/AIPS_ROOT/31DEC06/LINUX/SYSTEM/ALCYONE
 > nithya at alcyone:~$
 >
 > /Now I think you meant to say copy only the two files XASERVERS and
 > UNIXSERVERS from $SYSUNIX onto $SYSLOCAL
 >
 > That is what I did and tried 'aips' again but same result - it failed.
 >
 > Thing 3.
 >
 > Now, the 'comment' and 'uncomment' part - is it for the copied version
 > of the two files in $SYSLOCAL or the original version in $SYSUNIX?
 > Should the change be made for both the files or just one of them?
 >
 > Anyway, this is what I did:
 > I made it look like the following for both the files (XASERVERS and
 > UNIXSERVERS) in the directory $SYSLOCAL and not on $SYSUNIX.
 >
 > /#                                       if command fails try
 >       ($AIPS_TEK_EMULATOR -display $DISPLAY $AIPS_TEK_NAME_FLAG \
 >                          $AIPS_TEK_EXE_FLAG '$LOAD/TEKSRV.EXE ; sleep 3 ' &)
 > #                                       ' ' marks not allowed by many
 > #      ($AIPS_TEK_EMULATOR -display $DISPLAY $AIPS_TEK_NAME_FLAG \
 > #                         $AIPS_TEK_EXE_FLAG $LOAD/TEKSRV.EXE &)
 >
 > /and ...
 >
 > /#                                       if command fails try
 >       ($AIPS_MSG_EMULATOR -display $DISPLAY $AIPS_MSG_NAME_FLAG \
 >                          $AIPS_MSG_EXE_FLAG '$LOAD/MSGSRV.EXE ; sleep 3 ' &)
 > #                                       ' ' marks not allowed by many
 > #      ($AIPS_MSG_EMULATOR -display $DISPLAY $AIPS_MSG_NAME_FLAG \
 > #                         $AIPS_MSG_EXE_FLAG $LOAD/MSGSRV.EXE &)
 >
 > /instead of (what it looked like before, like you said)
 > /
> [...]

    Yes you did and we have learned something I hope.  Does

         /data/AIPS/AIPS_ROOT/31DEC06/LINUX/LIBR/INTELCMP

contain the file libsvml.so?  It seems as if your system will accept
quotes in the xterm command.  That can always be tested by typing

     xterm -e 'echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ; sleep 15 '

If the library is present, this suggests perhaps that the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is being defined for interactive logins but not for
non-interactive logins (which is what I think we get whan a script
forks an xterm).  Try putting an echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH within the
quoted strings in the command.  (XASERVERS in $SYSLOCAL is used if
present when you do Inet processes and UNIXSERVERS is used when you
say tv=local).  The manual command above might test that.