[daip] Requested change to IMAGR

Lincoln lincoln at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 2 16:42:47 EST 2006

Hi Eric,

We would like to get your feedback about a possible generalization of
how clean boxes are set in IMAGR.  We have a large VLBI project that would
benefit greatly if something can be arranged in the near term.

As Lynn and Claire have probably described in the past, we are attempting
to map (VLBI) the Orion SiO maser with high dynamic range.  Our images
do not deconvolve well because of
the nearly zero declination and bright complex source structure.

To obtain images w/ minimal artifacts for (the many) spectral channels
that contain strong emission centers, we use clean boxes.  Because the
locations of the emission centers change substantially from
low to high sky frequency, it can be difficult to make high quality image
cubes unless we map small ranges of channels and change the clean boxes
between ranges.

Would it be possible to have IMAGR equipped so that the user can specify
clean boxes that are indexed by channel in some way?  One possibility
might be an optional mode in which IMAGR reads
MYAREA:BOXFILE.channelnumber when it starts to clean a particular channel.
I thought of this solution as a minimum effort one, but that was a guess -
I do not understand the inner workings of IMAGR.

Best,
Lincoln

--
Lincoln J. Greenhill               Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
Office:     1 617-495-7194         60 Garden St, Cambridge, MA 02138
Cell:       1 617 851 8918         E-mail:  greenhill at cfa.harvard.edu
FAX:        1 617-495-7345