[daip] edge channel drops

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 19 10:45:19 EDT 2006

Lynn D. Matthews writes:
 > I have computed a bandpass calibration for some VLBA data with BPASS using
 > autocorrelation data.
 >
 > There are solutions in the BP table for all channels, but when I apply the
 > BP table to the data, two edge channels on both sides of the band
 > "disappear"---i.e., they now have zero visibilities.
 >
 > Does this have to do with the weights assigned to these channels in the BP
 > table/some threshold used by DOBAND? Even though these edge channels
 > are of little use scientifically, on a practical level it is a nuisance
 > to have image cubes with channel numbering different from the uv
 > data---plus, I'd just like to understand what's happening with the data.

No it is not the weights.  The way that the correlator works means
that the BP tables have to be shifted in frequency a little as a
function of time, source and antenna position.  This causes the looss
of the outermost channels.

These channels are very unlikely to be usable in any case - they are
affected by aliasing in the FFTs.