[daip] installation problems

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sun Jul 30 16:51:54 EDT 2006

Dan Harris writes:
 > Hi
 >
 > Sorry to have to ask you....   I successfully installed binary version of
 > AIPS on linux/core4 earlier this year (in Socorro, with local help, thanks);
 > but now have problems attempting a binary installation of MACINT on my new
 > MacBook Pro (still getting used to the Mac system....).  The attempted
 > installation was done on my laptop plugged into a cable at my office (CfA).
 >
 > I am hoping that you can quickly spot all the things i have done wrong by
 > scanning my notes file, and a copy of .aipsrc generated by the wizard.
 >
 > Obviously I have some problems with the name of my laptop (slarti), and I
 > should have stuck with 'LOCALHOST'.  however, i think my problems are more
 > far reaching.  Also, I don't really have any printers installed yet.  Probably
 > should have done that, but i haven't.
 >
 > Unfortunately I am off to Maine tomorrow (Monday), and will then have only
 > a dial-up connection.  worse still, the new Mac has no modem, so to get on
 > the web, I have to go to the library in the next town....  although I will
 > read email via my wife's laptop.

    If we can't fix it today I am not sure that you will have adequate
connectivity.

    The first place to look for things is the $AIPS_ROOT files
HOSTS.LIST and LOGIN.SH and .CSH.  The former should have both
LOCALHOST and SLARTI is it with the same SITE name (SLARTI) and same
OS name (MACINT).  The MNJ did not set up because it did not find the
OS type from the HOSTS.LIST for whatever name it is using.  Also the
FILAIP and POPSDAT did not run for the same reason.  You should have
a directory $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/SLARTI where files go and another file
     cd $AIPS_ROOT/DA00
     ln -s SLARTI LOCALHOST
so that the two choices for LAPTOP in the LOGIN.{SH,CSH} files are
supported.

     It thinks you were host DHCP152-235 so you will probably find
that name in HOSTS.LIST and DA00/DADEVS.LIST and DA00/NETSP.  Change
them to LOCALHOST and change the LOGIN files to say LAPTOP='YES'.
Check the data areas to make sure you have LOCALHOST_1 et al. defined
(links to slarti are fine).

Your HOSTS.LIST is
 > +  DHCP152-235  MACINT   SLARTI        NONE Put description here
 > +  LOCALHOST    MACINT  DEHARRIS        NONE
 > +  SLARTI       MACINT  DEHARRIS        NONE
Change to
 > +  DHCP152-235  MACINT   SLARTI        NONE Put description here
 > +  LOCALHOST    MACINT   SLARTI        NONE
 > +  SLARTI       MACINT   SLARTI        NONE

You need to update /etc/services to include aips services (and delete
some extraneous ones that use "our" numbers)

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1

To finsh the installation

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH             (or . LOGIN.SH for bash shells)
$CDTST
MAKE.BMNJ                    and answer questions

RUN FILAIP
8 2                          answer to FILAIP's question
                             AMANAGER is password if requested
RUN POPSGN
0 POPSDAT TST                answer to first question
                             Hit Enter to answer > prompt

Eric Greisen