[daip] installation problems

Dan Harris harris at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Sun Jul 30 10:43:19 EDT 2006

Hi

Sorry to have to ask you....   I successfully installed binary version of
AIPS on linux/core4 earlier this year (in Socorro, with local help, thanks);
but now have problems attempting a binary installation of MACINT on my new
MacBook Pro (still getting used to the Mac system....).  The attempted
installation was done on my laptop plugged into a cable at my office (CfA).

I am hoping that you can quickly spot all the things i have done wrong by
scanning my notes file, and a copy of .aipsrc generated by the wizard.

Obviously I have some problems with the name of my laptop (slarti), and I
should have stuck with 'LOCALHOST'.  however, i think my problems are more
far reaching.  Also, I don't really have any printers installed yet.  Probably
should have done that, but i haven't.

Unfortunately I am off to Maine tomorrow (Monday), and will then have only
a dial-up connection.  worse still, the new Mac has no modem, so to get on
the web, I have to go to the library in the next town....  although I will
read email via my wife's laptop.

Many thanks, Dan	harris at cfa.harvard.edu

%%%%%%%%%%%%  copy of my 'notes' ***************************************

2006 Jul 28

we have the wizard script, but can't figure out how/when to get the binaries.

we ran the script.... printers are some sort of things found locally at office.
seems to have grabbed the binaries after answering all screen queries.

ended with this:

YSTEM/NOSHARE.LIS
SYSTEM/PRINT
SYSTEM/SLIDE
SYSTEM/SSS.TXT

sent 414 bytes  received 81664 bytes  32831.20 bytes/sec
total size is 79850  speedup is 0.97
*                 National Radio Astronomy Observatory                  *
*                         Authorized use only                           *
*          Violators subject to investigation and prosecution           *
*                        by Federal Authorities                         *
*                   This is a US Government Computer                    *
*                  Session monitoring may be in effect                  *

receiving file list ... done
CVS/Entries
CVS/Repository
CVS/Root

sent 123 bytes  received 917 bytes  693.33 bytes/sec
total size is 78  speedup is 0.07
rm: AIPS: No such file or directory
AipsWiz:         -- done.
AipsWiz:
The AIPS Midnight Job is a way to keep your AIPS
AipsWiz: installation up to date.  It is secure, relatively
AipsWiz: easy, and can be done on demand or in a cron job
AipsWiz: (i.e. periodically, daily or weekly or whenever).
AipsWiz: It does require that you have the cvs software
AipsWiz: package installed on your system.

AipsWiz: This script will set up the infrastructure for you
AipsWiz: to be *able* to run the Midnight Job (MNJ), but you
AipsWiz: have the power to make it run or not.

AipsWiz: About to run 'MAKE.BMNJ '...
AipsWiz: This will generate a fair bit of output.
sh: line 1: /soft/aips/31DEC06/UNKNOWN/SYSTEM/CDVER.SH: No such file or directory
AipsWiz: Not good; no /soft/aips/31DEC06/MACINT/SYSTEM/SLARTI/UPDCONFIG found; did MAKE.BMNJ fail?
AipsWiz: You should investigate this.
AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::
AipsWiz:  =====> Generate system files via FILAIP/POPSGN...
AipsWiz: This will generate some output, including a copyright (left)
AipsWiz: statement and some prompts, but should end with a 'Done!' if
AipsWiz: everything worked...

AipsWiz: About to run FILAIP.  If this is a re-installation, you
AipsWiz: will be prompted for an AIPS Manager password.  The
AipsWiz: default password is AMANAGER

Cannot find /soft/aips/31DEC06/UNKNOWN/LOAD/FILAIP.EXE
AipsWiz: Error: FILAIP did not work, or there's a missing file!
AipsWiz: Error: This may mean that FILAIP did not work (it should have
AipsWiz: Error: created it and many other files in that area).
AipsWiz: Error: You can try running it by hand after (a) dotting the
AipsWiz: Error: LOGIN.SH file or sourcing the LOGIN.CSH file; and
AipsWiz: Error: (b) Typing 'RUN FILAIP'.  You will then be asked for
AipsWiz: Error: two parameters.  Use
8 2

AipsWiz: Error: as the standard values.
AipsWiz: Error: You will also have to RUN POPSGN if that works;

AipsWiz: Error: Feed it

0 POPSDAT TST

AipsWiz: Error: when it asks for Idebug, etc. and press RETURN when
AipsWiz: Error: you see the '>' prompt.

AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.

30July2006

defined alias in my .cshrc

alias aip      "source /soft/aips/LOGIN.CSH; /soft/aips/START_AIPS tpok"

In the wizard, when defining data areas, I used /soft/aips/DATA/SLARTI_1  (_2, _3, ETC)
In order to get into aips at all, I had to add an entry or two to HOSTS.LIST, since
the one generated by the wizard did not work to get me into aips....

+  DHCP152-235  MACINT   SLARTI        NONE Put description here
+  LOCALHOST    MACINT  DEHARRIS        NONE
+  SLARTI       MACINT  DEHARRIS        NONE

with that host list in place, I got into aips, but it exited with a message about
no data areas....  so i changed  /soft/aips/DATA/SLARTI_1 TO ...../LOCALHOST_1
{and also in /soft/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST....but I note the absence of the file
/soft/aips/DADEVS.SH...or is it DADEVS.PL ... ??}.  I then got 'further into aips', but it still exited.

Here is what i saw

[LOCALHOST:/soft/aips/DA00] deharris% aip

You have a choice of 5 printers.  These are:

    No. [ type  ] Description
     1. [    PDF] NONE n
     2. [  laser] psc1
     3. [     PS] (no description supplied by installer)
     4. [     on] PS poster
     5. [     PS] psfast

START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the NONE n
START_AIPS:  - system name AdobePDF at cloop.local|Adobe, AIPS type PDF

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /soft/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /soft/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Assuming TPMON daemons are running or not used (you said TPOK)
Starting up 31DEC06 AIPS with normal priority
dyld: Library not loaded: libsvml.dylib
  Referenced from: /soft/aips/31DEC06/MACINT/LOAD/ZSTRTA.EXE
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
[LOCALHOST:/soft/aips/DA00] deharris% XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on
localhost
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
dyld: Library not loaded: libsvml.dylib
  Referenced from: /soft/aips/31DEC06/MACINT/LOAD/./TVSERV.EXE
  Reason: image not found
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width height 1270 700, max grey level 255
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XAS: sssin is not a service
XAS: Check /etc/services or YP/NIS services map
zssslk: tcp/ssslock NOT A SERVICE
XAS: Quitting NOW.

****************** copy of .aipsrc %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

# AIPSRC created by install.pl on Fri Jul 28 14:29:49 2006
#
LAST_VERSION = 31DEC06
AIPS_ROOT = /soft/aips
GROUP = admin
GROUPWRITE = YES
INSTALL_FROM_CD = NO
INSTALL_FROM_NET = YES
ARCH = MACINT
IS64 = NO
SITE = SLARTI
THISHOST = DHCP152-235
HOSTS = "DHCP152-235"
PRINTERS = "AdobePDF at cloop.local|Adobe PDF:PS~NONE~n psc1 at relativity.cfa.harvard.edu|color laser:PS~~psc1 _192_168_0_249 at 131.142.12.29|192.168.0.249:PS~NONE~_(no_description_supplied_by_installer)_ psposter_on_scribe_cfa_harvard_edu at serenity.cfa.harvard.edu|psposter on scribe.cfa.harvard.edu:PS~~poster psfast at relativity.cfa.harvard.edu|psfast:PS~NONE~psfast"
DATA_AREAS = "/soft/aips/DATA/SLARTI_8:NONE /soft/aips/DATA/SLARTI_3:NONE /soft/aips/DATA/SLARTI_9:NONE /soft/aips/DATA/SLARTI_2:NONE /soft/aips/DATA/SLARTI_5:NONE /soft/aips/DATA/SLARTI_6:NONE /soft/aips/DATA/SLARTI_1:NONE /soft/aips/DATA/SLARTI_7:NONE /soft/aips/DATA/SLARTI_4:NONE"
TAPE_DRIVES = ""
TPHOSTS = "127.0.0.1"
APSIZE = 20
PRINTMED = A