[daip] installation problems

Dan Harris harris at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Sun Jul 30 20:18:09 EDT 2006

Hi Eric

It was very kind of you to take care of me on Sunday, many thanks.
BOTTOM LINE:  AIPS  appears to be working.  Not sure about MNJ, but that can
wait.   So there is no need for you to read the rest of this email....I will
use it archivally.......

cheers, D.

   The first place to look for things is the $AIPS_ROOT files
HOSTS.LIST and LOGIN.SH and .CSH.  The former should have both
LOCALHOST and SLARTI is it with the same SITE name (SLARTI) and same
OS name (MACINT).  The MNJ did not set up because it did not find the
OS type from the HOSTS.LIST for whatever name it is using.  Also the
FILAIP and POPSDAT did not run for the same reason.  You should have
a directory $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/SLARTI where files go and another file
     cd $AIPS_ROOT/DA00
     ln -s SLARTI LOCALHOST
so that the two choices for LAPTOP in the LOGIN.{SH,CSH} files are
supported.

* my subdir was DHCP152-235 and was empty.  I changed it to SLARTI and added
* the link you suggested.

     It thinks you were host DHCP152-235 so you will probably find
that name in HOSTS.LIST and DA00/DADEVS.LIST and DA00/NETSP.  Change
them to LOCALHOST and change the LOGIN files to say LAPTOP='YES'.

* in NETSP i changed all 'SLARTI' to 'LOCALHOST'.
* in DADEVS.LIST, i have (for the moment) left _1 as LOCALHOST; the rest are
	SLARTI
* I guess i fixed the 'laptop=yes' yesterday......(both LOGIN.....)

Check the data areas to make sure you have LOCALHOST_1 et al. defined
(links to slarti are fine).
* 1 had already been changed to 'LOCALHOST'; i made links for the others.

Your HOSTS.LIST is
 > +  DHCP152-235  MACINT   SLARTI        NONE Put description here
 > +  LOCALHOST    MACINT  DEHARRIS        NONE
 > +  SLARTI       MACINT  DEHARRIS        NONE
Change to
 > +  DHCP152-235  MACINT   SLARTI        NONE Put description here
 > +  LOCALHOST    MACINT   SLARTI        NONE
 > +  SLARTI       MACINT   SLARTI        NONE

* fixed /etc/services (the highest number was 4900 something)
* after sourcing LOGIN.CSH, the $CDTST gave me version /soft/aips/31DEC06
* when i ran MAKE.MNJ (assuming the 'b' was a typo) there were a lot of
* 'no such file or directory'.  After I gave it a date, it looked for, but did
* not find CVS.

Then mucked about a bit; went back to DADEVS and set all to LOCALHOST, reran
filaip and popsgn.

Then tested aips....looks good.  TV operational; ran imean....