[daip] AIPS under Fedora Core and g77/gcc 3.4.4

rlaing at eso.org rlaing at eso.org
Mon Jan 23 11:37:52 EST 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Eric Greisen wrote:

> Note that tv=local produces much better performance on some machines
> but on my machine - an old 1.3 GHz box - the Unix socket is as bad as
> the Inet socket.  In fact, the cursor simply vanishes from the screen
> for significant periods of time during which the AIPS TV is
> unresponsive.

Dear Eric et al.

Just to confirm that AIPS with Inet sockets under FC3 on my laptop has serious
problems. As well as a slowly updating TV, I found an intermittent, but
recurrent failure mode in which AIPS.EXE was hogging most of the available CPU
and memory while apparently doing nothing. Unsurprisingly, my machine became
extremely sluggish.  If further details of the problem and setup are any use to
you, please let me know.

The good news is that everything I have tried so far works very well with unix
sockets, so I am happy unless I forget to type tv=local.

Regards

Robert

--
Robert Laing
European ALMA Instrument Scientist

European Southern Observatory
Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2
D-85748 Garching-bei-Muenchen
Germany

Telephone (direct)     (+49) 89 3200 6625
           (secretary)                6631/6234/6678
Fax                                  6611

rlaing at eso.org