[daip] Re: SPLAT/CQ table, BP application

Lynn D. Matthews lmatthew at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 19 09:33:08 EST 2006

> SPLAT should have written the CQ table out correctly.  If you set
> SUBARRAY then the CQ table should include the data from that subarray
> renumbered as subarray 1.  If you did not set SUBARRAY, then it should
> include all data with the subarray not renumbered (or renumbered to 1
> if APARM(3) > 0).  Not knowing how adverbs were set, I don't know how
> to evaluate this.

The data have only one subarry, and the CQ tables appear to be identical
on the original and SPLATed files. However, if DOCAL=-1 in SPLAT, then I
encounter the warning about the CQ table in subsequent use of the file.
Given that the CQ table is still present, I don't fully understand the
consequences of this warning. I cannot set DOCAL true in SPLAT, as I need
to subsequently run CVEL.

My more generic problem is that I wish to apply bandpass corrections to
both the amplitudes and phases.  Running BPASS with the AC data corrects
the amplitudes nicely and CPASS does a good job with the phases, but I
cannot find any suitable way to apply both sets of corrections without
using SPLAT.

CPASS is supposed to allow one to solve for an amplitude solution using
the AC data, and then during a second pass (with CPARM(6)=BP#1,
CPARM(7)=1), freeze the amplitudes and solve for the phases. This works if
BCHAN=0,ECHAN=0, but the amplitude normalization is skewed because it is
using the entire area under the curve to normalize instead of the inner
3/4 or some ICHANSEL range. If one sets BCHAN.ne.1 & ECHAN.ne.0, the
normalization improves, but the amplitude solutions then get corrupted
during the second pass of CPASS, and a ringing with amplitude ~10-15%
occurs across the band.

Lynn