[daip] Frequency coordinates(31DEC05 vs 31DEC04)

Neeraj Gupta neeraj at ncra.tifr.res.in
Wed Feb 22 01:15:48 EST 2006

Dear Eric,

      Thanks a lot.  I tried changing the keyword 'SIDE BAND' to
'SIDEBAND' using TABED.  Things are now working fine for IMAGR and ISPEC
and that holds for both 31DEC05 and 31DEC04.

      Since you 've implemented this change to make things consistent with
various tables the solution to this problem will be that we modify our
gvfits to change the keyword to 'SIDEBAND'.  And that is something which
can be done without much effort.  We will then be in tune with 31DEC05 and
the previous as well as forthcoming versions of AIPS.  Correct??

      Is there something more of this kind that has been changed?  Since we
are anyway going to touch gvfits, we will fix them at the same time.

> Note that Tracy's sideband is really upper but the increment negative
> so I would have expected a +1 for sideband and a negative increment in
> the FQ table.

     USB having -ve frequency increment!  I agree, this is a bit confusing.
We will be better off calling them as frequency channels rather than USB
and LSB. But it has gone into habits and will take time to change:-)

with regards,
neeraj

Neeraj Gupta                       Phone : 91-20-25697107,25691384
NCRA (TIFR),                               office extn. 253
University of Pune Campus,
Ganeshkhind,                       email : neeraj at ncra.tifr.res.in
Pune - 411 007
India