[daip] Around to talk about a problem with CLCAL

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 15 18:43:51 EDT 2006

Doug Roberts writes:
 > Hi Eric,
 >
 > I left you a voicemail message about a problem that Farhad and I are
 > having calibrating a dataset using fast-switching mode.  We have an
 > observing program where we observed a bright, but distant, calibrator
 > every 15 minutes and a weak, but close, calibrator (fast switching)
 > every 90 seconds.  We are applying the calibration from both calibrators
 > separately (resetting tables etc. between solutions) to make sure the
 > results are consistent.  We have an issue applying solutions from the
 > bright (infrequently sampled) calibrator in CLCAL and then SPLITTING the
 > data gives no additional flags by gain.  However, when we apply the
 > solutions from the weak, close, fast-switch calibrator we get about 30%
 > flagged by gains.  It looks like something isn't interpolating properly.
 >
 > If you are around to talk or if this rings a bell and you can let us
 > know your thoughts by email, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

Try looking at the SN tables before applying them.  The flagged by
gain comes from failed solutions usually.  Also look at the CL table
before and after CLCAL to see if some solutions are blanked which will
cause the deletion.  Note that CLCAL will allow you to replace failed
solutions (only) with interpolated (smoothed) ones.