[daip] Re: IMAGR question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 1 15:14:30 EDT 2005

Tracy Clarke writes:
 > Hi Eric,
 > 	I have been noticing that my laptop is taking a very long time to
 > move between field on occasion in IMAGR and was wondering if something
 > might be going wrong. I am doing a 330 MHz data set with 12 channels
 > averaged and sometimes see the computer sit more than 30 minutes after
 > cleaning a field before anything appears to happen. This is after the "I
 > Polarization moed processed" message comes up. There are no messages that
 > it has gone to another field or anything but the cpu still indicates IMAGR
 > is processing. This doesn't happen on all fields, just occasionally it
 > sits for a long time. Is there a reason why it might be 'thinking' so long
 > on this? I was a little worried that there may be something wrong with my
 > laptop. Cheers,
 > 							Tracy
 > p.s. I am still running 31DEC02 on my laptop.

Doing archaeology on my inbox I found this with several other
e-mails.

Looking at your IMAGR inputs, you set mode DFT for component
subtraction and your image was subtracting about 15200 components from
345030 visibilities.  That should take many hours.  DFT is not
desirable as a subtraction method to be forced except in special
cases.  ' ' will select DFT unless it is quite a bit more expensive
than gridded.