[daip] Found the libXext problem

Samuel Conner samuelconner at mail.arczip.com
Fri Oct 14 11:25:59 EDT 2005

Dear Dr. Murphy and other Daipss,

  Here is the problem:  the .a version of libXext lives in /usr/X11R6/lib64 rather than /usr/X11R6/lib . This is the same issue with libreadline.a . And I guess that that is a good thing, since presumably the 32 bit version would not interface properly with my 64-bit compiled code.

   How do I tell the installation process to look in /usr/X11R6/lib64 rather than /usr/X11R6/lib for this library?

  But now I am having a moment of anxiety:

when I ls /usr/lib/*.a

  I get about 20 files listed

ls /usr/lib64/*.a  lists many more.

ls /usr/X11R6/lib/*.a  gives no files

ls /usr/X11R6/lib64/*.a gives many files.

My anxiety is that the linker may be looking in /usr/lib when it ought to be looking in /usr/lib64.

  I suspect that there is a simple fix to this in a library path variable somewhere, but I'm not sure how to do the repair.

  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

 Thanks again for your time and trouble,

Sam Conner