[daip] Re: Found the libXext problem

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 14 11:31:15 EDT 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:25:59 -0600, "Samuel Conner"
   <samuelconner at mail.arczip.com> said:

> Here is the problem: the .a version of libXext lives in
> /usr/X11R6/lib64 rather than /usr/X11R6/lib . This is the same issue
> with libreadline.a . And I guess that that is a good thing, since
> presumably the 32 bit version would not interface properly with my
> 64-bit compiled code.

> How do I tell the installation process to look in /usr/X11R6/lib64
> rather than /usr/X11R6/lib for this library?

Take thiw with a grain of salt as my knowledge of such things is very
rusty, but there used to be several ways:

  0) use "-L/usr/X11R6/lib64" on the command line; my concern is that
     the compile might still pick up the other area first.

  1) set the LD_RUN_PATH variable or the -R switch appropriately; this
     "burns in" the library search path to the executable.

You can of course also override this at runtime (after INSTEP4 in other
words) with LD_LIBRARY_PATH but that's a hack.

Eric and the others can probably advise how best to use these in the
context of AIPS.  Probably in the FDEFAULT.SH and CCOPTS/LDOPTS files.

				- Pat