[daip] forwarded message from Samuel Conner

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 13 15:39:47 EDT 2005

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: "Samuel Conner" <samuelconner at mail.arczip.com>
To: Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu>
Subject: AMD 64-bit AIPS: getting closer
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:34:48 -0600

Dear Eric,

   Thank you for the feedback; it is helping. Here seems to be what was going wrong on the compile:

  *  When I installed gcc-3.4.4, I used the "suffix" option to  stick a "-3.4.4" on each of the executables that were installed to /usr/local/bin. This presumably is why the wizard did not know that I was using a gnu gcc and g77. I made links gcc --> gcc-3.4.4 etc to get around that.

    Regarding that other compile error I noted: unresolved reference, it looks to me like it was objecting to every non-intrinsic function and/or subroutine call. But the problem went away when I gave the compilers more recognizable names.

  *  The -malign-double FORTOPT switch triggers a crash when g77-ing on my 64 bit machine. The error message is to the effect that this switch "makes no sense in 64-bit mode. I deleted that switch from the FCOM options in my .AIPSRC

  After fixing both of these, INSTEP2 is now barrelling along.

Regarding the -lXext library, it appears to me that I have all the x11 packages installed --- but obviously I am missing something. FC3 uses xorg rather than XFree86, but I can't believe that an important library was left out. There is a local linux guru here who has helped me with similar things in the past and I will resort to him before I bother you further.

 I am writing these fixes down so that I won't have to ask you about them again!

 Again, thanks!

Sam