[daip] AIPS install problems on AMD 64 bit machine

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 13 13:23:27 EDT 2005

Samuel Conner writes:

 > 1)  The wizard does not recognize the x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>  configuration. In the initial wizard "questionnaire", I selected "LINUX" as the nearest configuration.

          that is not suprising you did the right thing

 > 2)  Trouble creating makefiles. The wizard claims that the  ---.in files for the doc/Makefile and examples/Makefile do not exist. And I do not find them in the tree.

         this is I think in building readline from source and if I
remember the doc and examples areas are not included and of no use to
you

 > 3)  Problem linking XAS.  The -lXext library is missing. I can probably sort this out on my own with help from a local Linux guru.

      this may affect other things too - XWindows developers rpm is
needed.

 > 4)  Problems in COMRPL.
 >
 >  a)    FCOM uses the switches  -ARw8 -Nn1604 -Nx400 -O2

     $SYSLOCAL/FDEFAULT.SH invokes these only for unknown compiler -
does the install think your fortran is something other than g77 or
ifort?  This is an error.

 >      but g77-3.4.4 does not recognize -Nn1604 -Nx400
 >

 >   b)   g77-3.4.4 is complaining about every undefined function reference. I have not seen that previously.

     What undefined function reference?

 >      I have the impression that maybe the 31DEC04 wizard is not suitable for my hardware configuration.

     The readlin e shipped with 04 is older than that shipped with 05
but there are not so many changes.  I suspect you have not set up
things right in the compiler details - check your ~/.AIPSRC file.