[daip] AIPS install problems on AMD 64 bit machine

Samuel Conner samuelconner at mail.arczip.com
Thu Oct 13 13:13:24 EDT 2005

To Whom it may concern,

   I am attempting to install AIPS on a "homebuilt" AMD 64 bit machine (Athlon 64 processor, FC3_64 OS). I have installed the gcc-3.4.4 compiler suite.

   I am encountering many problems. Here they are in brief (I can sent an extract of the Wizard error messages if that would be helpful)

1)  The wizard does not recognize the x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu configuration. In the initial wizard "questionnaire", I selected "LINUX" as the nearest configuration.

2)  Trouble creating makefiles. The wizard claims that the  ---.in files for the doc/Makefile and examples/Makefile do not exist. And I do not find them in the tree.

3)  Problem linking XAS.  The -lXext library is missing. I can probably sort this out on my own with help from a local Linux guru.

4)  Problems in COMRPL.

 a)    FCOM uses the switches  -ARw8 -Nn1604 -Nx400 -O2

     but g77-3.4.4 does not recognize -Nn1604 -Nx400

  b)   g77-3.4.4 is complaining about every undefined function reference. I have not seen that previously.

     I have the impression that maybe the 31DEC04 wizard is not suitable for my hardware configuration.

   Any guidance would be greatly welcome.

Sincerely yours,

Sam Conner