[daip] Re: aisp: libsvml.so: cannot open shared object file:

Ulrich Hiller hiller at mpia-hd.mpg.de
Fri Nov 25 12:53:49 EST 2005

Dear Eric Greisen,
I now made a second attempt running aips on SuSE Linux from a remote
host. aips is installed on a central server. The aips directory on this
central server is readonly NFS mounted on the remote hosts.
I installed aips again. I runs on the server where I installed it. On
the remote host it keeps hanging during the START_AIPS (output1 below)
unless  I copy everything to the remote host and start aips from there
locally (output2 below).
So I assume there must be a write protection violation when I start aips
from the remote host directly.
Can you tell me how I have to configure the protection codes?
Best wishes, ulrich hiller

Output 1: aips is installed on a central server. The aips dir there is
readonly NFS mounted on the remote machine where I invoke it:

> START_AIPS tv=local
START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV

You have a choice of 3 printers.  These are:

    No. [ type  ] Description
     1. [     PS] laps w
     2. [     PS] laps i
     3. [     PS] laps e

START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the laps w
START_AIPS:  - system name laps_w, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /usr/local2/misc/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/DATA/HILLER_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called hiller
START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on HILLER
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on hiller asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on HILLER asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC05 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC05) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   3
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   3
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on hiller
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on hiller, DISPLAY :0.0
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on hiller, display :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on hiller, display :0.0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 255
STARTPMON: [HILLER] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED

 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?100
AIPS 1:                          31DEC05 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.

Here nothing happens. No aips prompt

Output2: aips is installed on the central server. Then copied to the
remote machine and invoked there:

>START_AIPS tv=local
START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV

You have a choice of 3 printers.  These are:

    No. [ type  ] Description
     1. [     PS] laps w
     2. [     PS] laps i
     3. [     PS] laps e

START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the laps w
START_AIPS:  - system name laps_w, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /usr/local2/misc/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/DATA/HILLER_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called hiller
START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on HILLER
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on hiller asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on HILLER asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC05 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 2 (release of 31DEC05) at priority =   0
AIPS 2: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 2: You are assigned TV device/server   3
AIPS 2: You are assigned graphics device/server   3
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 2: Enter user ID number
?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on hiller
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on hiller, DISPLAY :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on hiller, display :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on hiller, display :0.0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 255
STARTPMON: [HILLER] Old TPMON1 link found in
/usr/local2/misc/aips/31DEC05/LINUX/LOAD
STARTPMON: [HILLER]  - will TRY to replace & restart it here.
STARTPMON: [HILLER]  - TPMON daemons on other LINUX hosts may need
restarted.
STARTPMON: [HILLER] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED

 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 2: Enter user ID number
?100
AIPS 2:                          31DEC05 AIPS:
AIPS 2:      Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 2:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 2:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 2: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 2: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 2: Previous session command-line history *not* recovered.
AIPS 2: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 2: Loading a brand new POPS vocabulary

--
Ulrich Hiller
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Astronomie
email hiller at mpia-hd.mpg.de