[daip] AIPS INSTALL TROUBLES

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 14 11:55:50 EST 2005

William Adler writes:
 > HI - I am trying to install the 31DEC05 version of aips on a solaris 9
 > machine using
 > locally compiled gcc 3.4 and g77 ...    I have run into a few problems
 > such as the DECBIT.f
 > being specified incorreclty in a .LIS file causing it to be compiled
 > without the -O3 option
 > and  a bunch of problems with the VALUE parameter of a some subroutings
 > (POSITION.FOR..)
 > being INTEGER when they should be DOUBLE PRECISION.
 >
 > I cannot help but think that I have missed something really fundamental
 > here.
 >
 > But, I installed this on a linux machine and it just installed perfectly...

In some way the compiler you are using is telling you things you do
not need to know.

DECBIT is compiled unoptimized on all machines - too mant compilers
messed this one up so we set this in $SYSUNIX/OPTIMIZE.LIS a long
tiome ago.  It does not affect performance.

The OOP code may confuse compilers that know too much.  The VALUE
parameter is set/used way down at the bottom and it is set/used in
whatever type that keyword in the object has - integer, real, double,
logical.  We are forced to use a second VALUEC parameter for character
strings which are special in Fortran.  But in fact the code mostly
worked when even the VALUEC was rolled into VALUE.  Basically VALUE
just passes an address from which the bottom level puts/gets a value.

I am suprised that your compiler is reporting this - we have used 3.4
on other machines and do not get these messages.  Dopn't worry about
them unless the compiler is treating this as a hard error.