[daip] Re: Mac OS X Working, but...

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 7 16:37:23 EST 2005

Christopher De Pree writes:
 > Eric,
 >
 > I got AIPS working under MAC OS X, which is awesome, but I have come up
 > against an odd problem--I have run AIPS a few times (loaded images and
 > everything), but now AIPS is unable to open the XAS WINDOW (though it has
 > been working). The error it gives is:
 >
 > XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user chrisdep
 > XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
 > XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > XAS: Using screen width height 1270 754, max grey level 255
 > Shared memory id failure: Cannot allocate memory
 > XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
 > 1831
 > AIPS 1:                          31DEC04 AIPS:
 > AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Associated Universities, Inc.
 > AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
 > AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
 > AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
 > AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
 > AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
 > AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
 > AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit
 >

 > The MSGSRV and TEKSRV windows open fine...

See the AIPS Manager FAQ page.  You may have to change some parameters
in files to allow big enough shared memories.  I would have expected
this to be a problem from the beginning however.  Do exit aips using
the KLEENEX verb which closes the daemons cleanly.  I suppose it is
possible that shared memory is not being released and you are up
against some limit on totals.