[daip] forwarded message from Eric Greisen

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 24 13:49:05 EDT 2005

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu>
To: Roderick Johnstone <rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [daip] Moving user files
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:48:12 -0600

Roderick Johnstone writes:
 > Eric Greisen wrote:
 > > Roderick Johnstone writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > No, its much simpler than this. The old system is linux x86 and the new
 > >  > system is linux x86. Its just that the files aren't seen on the new
 > >  > system despite having been copied into the aips data area on the new system
 > >  >

 > > You will then have to define aren't seen.  If this is not a mix of
 > > architectures, then I have no idea.  Do the data areas have a file
 > > CAD000000.uuu\;  where uuu is the user number in extended hex?
 > >
 > > You said you copied all the files so I assume such a file is there.
 > > If it is not then you would see an empty CA file created as aips
 > > starts up rather than a CA file which knows about the data files.
 >
 > Well, all that is in the data directory on the original system beginning
 > with CAD is CAD000000; yet the pcat seems able to list the files fine
 > there for user id 2004. So we don't have a CAD000000.uuu;

I now know.  On the old system you told aips to use a single catalog
for all users and on the new system you have told it to use separate
catalogs for each user.  On the old system all files will have names
xxDnnnmmm\; on the new system they will be mostly be xxDnnnmmm.uuu\;
except for a few shared system ones.

You can

RUN FILAIP

and answer a positive number (e.g. +100) to the second part of the
first question.

Note, we normally recommend user private catalogs and the public ones
do not get tested all that much.  In fact our users on their desktops
often use multiple user numbers to separate projects.  With a public
catalog this does not work as well.

But to get the old data simply, it would be easier to change the
nature of this catalog - I suppose you could rename all the files
instead.  If the user used only one number that would work.

Eric Greisen