[daip] fail to build XAS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 22 11:41:09 EDT 2004

Kazuya Hachisuka writes:

 > I am trying to install the AIPS (31DEC04) into my
 > laptop, but the install wizard was stopped when
 > it tried to build a XAS at the beginning of the
 > installation, before INSTEP 2.
 >
 > My laptop is a ThinkPad X22 which works on the
 > RedHat 7.2. I installed a compiler gcc-2.95.3 and
 > revised FDEFAULT.SH.
 >
 > I installed the AIPS (31DEC02) into the same system
 > successfully at two years ago, but now I can't do it.
 > Recently I changed a HDD because the HDD was broken,
 > then I installed the RedHat again.
 >
 > Do I have to install some libraries or other compiler?
 > Otherwise do I have to install the newest version of
 > Linux?

Without error messages I cannot be sure what your problem is.  But the
usual source of trouble is missing "developer" XWindows files.  The
code of XAS assumes that there is a directory

/usr/include/X11

which is usually a ln -s sort of file:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Feb 24  2004 X11 -> ../X11R6/include/X11/

primate<165>$ cd X11
/usr/include/X11
primate<166>$ ls
ap_keysym.h   cursorfont.h  keysymdef.h  ShellP.h      Xarch.h   Xdmcp.h       Xlibint.h  Xpoll.h
bitmaps/      DECkeysym.h   keysym.h     SM/           Xatom.h   XF86keysym.h  Xlocale.h  Xproto.h
Composite.h   extensions/   Object.h     StringDefs.h  Xauth.h   Xft/          Xmd.h      Xprotostr.h
CompositeP.h  fonts/        ObjectP.h    Sunkeysym.h   Xaw/      Xfuncproto.h  Xmu/       Xresource.h
ConstrainP.h  HPkeysym.h    PM/          Vendor.h      Xaw3d/    Xfuncs.h      Xosdefs.h  Xthreads.h
Constraint.h  ICE/          RectObj.h    VendorP.h     Xcms.h    X.h           Xos.h      Xutil.h
Core.h        Intrinsic.h   RectObjP.h   X10.h         Xcursor/  XKBlib.h      Xos_r.h    XWDFile.h
CoreP.h       IntrinsicP.h  Shell.h      Xalloca.h     Xdefs.h   Xlib.h        xpm.h

On some systems these .h files are missing unless a X11 developers
toolkit is also installed.  AIPS needs some of them