[daip] AIPS TV queries

David Titterington djt at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 05:37:35 EDT 2004

Dear AIPS,

We have a couple of queries about the use of the AIPS TV devices which we
wondered if you might have some advice about.

We are running AIPS 31DEC04 maintained by the midnite job, on a cluster of
Sun Solaris and Redhat Linux workstations.  Several of our users have Sun
Ray 1 clients as desktop workstations, and typically start AIPS asking for
a Unix socket TV server from a window on one these devices, with DISPLAY
set to something like ":3.0" or "localhost:3.0":

  > echo $DISPLAY
  :3.0

  > aips tv=local:0

The startup dialogue includes:

  Will start a new Unix Socket based TV

  Starting TV servers on mraosv asynchronously
   - WITH Unix Sockets (new instance) as requested...
  Assuming TPMON daemons are running
  Starting up 31DEC04 AIPS with normal priority
  Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC04) at priority =   0
  AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
  AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server  32
  AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server  32
  AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
  ?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV8 on mraosv
  UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS8 on mraosv, DISPLAY localhost:3.0
  TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
  XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
  XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 255
  9
  AIPS 1:                          31DEC04 AIPS:
  AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Associated Universities, Inc.
  AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
  AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
  AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
  AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
  AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
  AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
  AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit

Mostly, this all works fine, but we have two persistent gripes:

1) Very often, when using 'tvpseudo', dragging the cursor through the
   boundary of the window (not the image) will cause AIPS to crash:

  >tvinit
  >tvlod
  >tvpseudo
  AIPS 1: Hit button A for RGB color triangles
  AIPS 1: Hit button B for loops in hue
  AIPS 1: Hit button C for color contours
  AIPS 1: Hit button D to exit
  AIPS 1: Cursor X position controls break between low & high colors
  AIPS 1: Cursor Y position controls color intensity (Gamma)
  AIPS 1: Hit button A to cycle starting color
  AIPS 1: ZABORS: signal 8 received
  AIPS 1: ABORT!
  Illegal Instruction

2) Always, even when 'kleenex' is used to finish, the TV-lock daemon will
   remain as an active process and will have to cleared explicity later
   using 'kill'.  What's the recommended procedure for closing down the
   TV device cleanly so that the ./TVSRV daemons don't accumulate on the
   server?

Many thanks,
David.

David Titterington,