[daip] start of AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 20 10:34:25 EDT 2004

Hermine Landt writes:

 >  hi,
 >
 > I have a problem starting AIPS. I get the error message below.
 > thanks in advance for your help,
 >
 > Hermine
 >

 > START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the (no description supplied by
 > installer)
 > START_AIPS:  - system name monolith, AIPS type PS
 >
 > START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
 > DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.008
 >   (Using global default file /u1/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
 >                   /u1/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1 is currently unavailable.
 >
 > START_AIPS: Cannot start AIPS because there are no defined data areas!
 > START_AIPS: (check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*)

Go to

cd /u1/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

and do an

ls -laF

There should be a file of 0 bytes named SPACE which should be owner
and group rw.  If it is not there create it with touch and check and
fix its privileges.  If it is there then check

groups

to see if you belong to the group for which aips is installed.