[daip] AIPS Documentation 2

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 24 16:40:25 EST 2004

adolfosperling at ig.com.br writes:

 >       Dear Mr Eric Gresen :
 >       I followed your instructions and tried again with no success
 >       to get the informations  I informed to tou in my last
 >       e-mail
 >       The address :
 >       http:www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips sends me to tha AIPS Documenta-
 >       tion Page from there I got only :
 >      * The AIPS  Cookbook  and
 >      * The Help Files.
 >      The other items that I alredy mentioned to you  don't
 >      show up.
 >      As I try to access the address:
 >      ftp://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/software/aips/TEXT/PUBL.area ,

            Are you going in with anonymous ftp or with a browser?
The line above confuses us

       ftp://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/software/aips/TEXT/PUBL

is correct.  If you have typed .area follwing then that does not
exist.  If you go in with anonymous ftp, try doing the cd one layer at
a time.  This is a way I find to check for spelling, etc.

 >      after a few seconds of searching appears the following
 >      error message : Wrong ftp address or you have no permission
 >      to access the specified place !!
 >                    I ask you again to help me to get
 >                    the AIPS Informations .
 >

 >                    Thanking in advance I remain
 >
 >                          Adolfo Sperling

Comments from system manager:

   I'm assuming the URL he lists is a formatting error in his email and
not the one he's actually trying.  There's an extraneous '.area' on the end.

   We should make sure that the latter is not the case.

   To the best of my knowledge we're not blocking them but I don't know
exactly what address he's coming from so I can guarentee we're not.
I don't see anything in the logs that matches the address his email appears
to come from but that's not necessarily the same address.

  The following is the only entry .. it's an ftp packet from the IP listed in
the headers of his email to the ftp server ... it's permitted.

[jrobnett at bunyan logs]$ grep 200.226.67.106 aocrouterlog
Nov 24 02:32:16 146.88.32.1 8572802: Nov 24 02:32:15 mnt: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP:
list 102 permitted tcp 200.226.67.106(1097) -> 146.88.1.10(21), 1 packet

   The above seems to imply they're using NAT ... it's possible he needs
to tweak his ftp client to adjust for this.  Toggling passive/active mode
may need to be done.

James