[daip] Re: Remote aips TV

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 23 16:26:58 EST 2004

Chris Phillips writes:

 > The ATNF still have ery much a server mentality for data processing. For a
 > number of reasons (xterminals, library compatibilities, generally poor
 > setup) it is impossible to get aips (tv servers) running on a significant
 > portion of users local machine.
 >
 > Using "aips tv=local" work fine, but this is not intended to allow
 > multiple users on a single machine to all view the TV remotely, if I
 > understand the doco properly. Is there a robust way to have multiple users
 > on a single server all displaying on there local machine, but the TV
 > server running on the server as well.
 >
 > (I understand why you want to run the TV server locally, is just that it
 > isn't practical for some of the machines).

The TV=local option is designed for this.

export DISPLAY=primate:0
aips tv=local:0

will bring up new local daemons running on server but displaying on
primate.  It is slow and it may require the ~/.Xdefaults to not ask
for shared memory although I expect it catches and prevents that.

It does work - i have used it recently for some test.

ERic Greisen