[daip] Extremely slow TV based tasks

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 16 10:58:37 EST 2004

Poonam Chandra writes:

 > > 2. If you are all on one machine, and using Inet TVs, then perhaps
 > >    your operating system is having to ask some remote machine to
 > >    provide name service every time instead of caching that name
 > >    service locally.  Best solution - fix the OS.  Another choice, use
 > >    Unix sockets:
 > >         aips tv=local
 > >    See AIPS CookBook chapter 2, or man aips, or help aips for all the
 > >    options.
 >
 > No Eric, I am not using any remote machine. Everything is on my machine
 > only.

       Almost always a name server is some central machine in a
complex and we have encountered problems with the gethostbyname
function taking a while.  You would not be aware of this unless you
check with the system managers who should know about such things.

 > > 3. What is the $DISPLAY variable?  Perhaps you can send me all the
 > >    messages that come out when you start aips (and its TVs, servers,
 > >    etc.)

I saw nothing unusual in the messages.  This makes me wonder
(particularly with your comment about SPFLG slowing down with time)
about page faulting and that sort of stuff.  How much memory does your
machine have?  Is your swap disk on the same spindle as an AIPS data
disk?

Was your previous TV display pseudo-color (your current one is
TrueColor).  The latter is rather slower than the former although with
modern machines that is not normally significant.