[daip] Extremely slow TV based tasks

Poonam Chandra poonam at mailhost.tifr.res.in
Mon Nov 15 22:28:27 EST 2004

> Poonam Chandra writes:
>  > Dear AIPS help-desk
>  > 	I have recently installed AIPS software on my linux machine
>  > (Pentium IV). I am using Fedora Core 2 and I installed AIPS using
>  > gcc-3.2.3. Everything is working fine. But the major problem is that all
>  > TV based tasks like IMAGR, TVFIDD, TVWIN, SPFLG etc. are extremely slow.
>  > The TV looks least sensitive to the mouse and large time lag is there. It
>  > is giving me lots of problem in running TV based tasks. Can you please let
>  > me know what is the problem?

Dear Eric,

> Without knowing a lot more about your setup, I cannot tell for sure.
>
> 1. If you are computing on machine A and run XAS on A, but display on
>    machine B on your desk, this will be slow unavoidably.  Solution,
>    run XAS on machine B.

Computing and XAS both are running on one single machine.

> 2. If you are all on one machine, and using Inet TVs, then perhaps
>    your operating system is having to ask some remote machine to
>    provide name service every time instead of caching that name
>    service locally.  Best solution - fix the OS.  Another choice, use
>    Unix sockets:
>         aips tv=local
>    See AIPS CookBook chapter 2, or man aips, or help aips for all the
>    options.

No Eric, I am not using any remote machine. Everything is on my machine
only.

> 3. What is the $DISPLAY variable?  Perhaps you can send me all the
>    messages that come out when you start aips (and its TVs, servers,
>    etc.)

Below is the message that comes out when I start aips
______________
[aips at EINSTEIN ~]$ aips

You have a choice of 5 printers.  These are:

    No. [ type  ] Description
     1. [     PS] Computer Center Printer
     2. [     PS] Theory Astrophysics
     3. [     PS] Theo. Astro- Laser Printer
     4. [     PS] Computer Center Printer
     5. [     PS] Theory Astrophysics

START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the Computer Center Printer
START_AIPS:  - system name lp2, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using private file /home/aips/.dadevs)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/AIPS/DATA/EINSTEIN_1
   Disk 2 (2) is /home/aips/AIPS/DATA/EINSTEIN_2
   Disk 3 (3) is /home/aips/AIPS/DATA/EINSTEIN_3
   Disk 4 (4) is /data/aips/AIPS_DATA/EINSTEIN_7/EINSTEIN_4
   Disk 5 (5) is /data/aips/AIPS_DATA/EINSTEIN_8/EINSTEIN_5
   Disk 6 (6) is /data/aips/AIPS_DATA/EINSTEIN_9/EINSTEIN_6

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is 4 mm DAT DRIVE DDS3 on EINSTEIN
   Tape 2 is REMOTE
   Tape 3 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called einstein
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on einstein asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on EINSTEIN asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC04 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC04) at priority =   0
XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on einstein
XASERVERS: Start XAS on einstein, DISPLAY :0
AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA04
AIPS 1: THIS MEANS THE TIMDEST LIMIT IS SET TO VALUE IN SP FILE OR 14.0
AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA05
AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA06
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on einstein, DISPLAY :0
1AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
?1XAS: Using screen width height 1014 668, max grey level 255
0STARTPMON: [EINSTEIN] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
STARTPMON: [EINSTEIN] Starting TPMON2 with output SUPPRESSED
6
AIPS 1:                          31DEC04 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit
>XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on einstein, DISPLAY :0
____
I hope this info is helpful.
Regards
Poonam