[daip] Extremely slow TV based tasks

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 15 12:27:25 EST 2004

Poonam Chandra writes:
 > Dear AIPS help-desk
 > 	I have recently installed AIPS software on my linux machine
 > (Pentium IV). I am using Fedora Core 2 and I installed AIPS using
 > gcc-3.2.3. Everything is working fine. But the major problem is that all
 > TV based tasks like IMAGR, TVFIDD, TVWIN, SPFLG etc. are extremely slow.
 > The TV looks least sensitive to the mouse and large time lag is there. It
 > is giving me lots of problem in running TV based tasks. Can you please let
 > me know what is the problem?

Without knowing a lot more about your setup, I cannot tell for sure.

1. If you are computing on machine A and run XAS on A, but display on
   machine B on your desk, this will be slow unavoidably.  Solution,
   run XAS on machine B.

2. If you are all on one machine, and using Inet TVs, then perhaps
   your operating system is having to ask some remote machine to
   provide name service every time instead of caching that name
   service locally.  Best solution - fix the OS.  Another choice, use
   Unix sockets:
        aips tv=local
   See AIPS CookBook chapter 2, or man aips, or help aips for all the
   options.

3. What is the $DISPLAY variable?  Perhaps you can send me all the
   messages that come out when you start aips (and its TVs, servers,
   etc.)