[daip] 31dec04 installation issues

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 10 17:47:17 EST 2004

Howard Powell writes:
 > I am installing the 31dec04 version of AIPS classic in a Linux network
 > environment at the UVa astronomy department.  I'm afraid I don't know
 > you all as well as some of the other people here in my department, so
 > forgive me if it seems silly that I'm emailing the daips list rather
 > than just walking up the street to talk with you guys since your office
 > is just around the corner.

        You exit, get on 64 West, turn south on 81, west on I 40 and
1900 miles later you get to where we actually are.

 > I have installed 31dec04 in a fedora core 2 machine which is sharing
 > that directory along with others via NFS to all the Linux machines in
 > the department.  Aips has been installed as the aips user (aips group).
 >
 > When setting up data areas, I would like to have each of the linux
 > machines have a /local/AIPS/DATA area for which each person using the
 > machine can work on their data.  Obviously, what I want to avoid is
 > running aips on data over an NFS share.  It would be nice if I could set
 > up the DADEVS.LIST file so that it points to a generic area which is
 > located locally on each machine, such as this area /local/AIPS/DATA
 > rather than have to have a /local/AIPS/DATA/$HOSTNAME for each machine
 > and an entry in DADEVS.LIST for each machine that will run aips.
 >
 > I thought about it during the installation process during the step where
 > I could set the hostname as LOCALHOST doing that - so that the localhost
 > variable would be local to each machine when the aips program is run,
 > but then I realized that when sharing tapes this will probably cause
 > problems.

Are you proposing that every machine have data areas names

/local/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
/local/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_2
/local/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_3

etc. but that they not be the same area?  Then $NET0/DADEVS.LIST could
have 3 lines in it and that would be the end of it.  That might work
but would stop anyone from mounting the disks on another machine
should they need them.

Thus we do from primate
    aips da=alcor
to include alcor's disk's usually for data reading to copy to primate
for further work.

That is not a major usage and so could be omitted.

What I usually do is have data files "in"
$AIPS_ROOT/DATA
by name <host>_n e.g. PRIMATE_1, PRIMATE_2, ALCOR_1, etc.  But then
these are really just link files to real disk areas of any name on the
particular hosts.  I do the same with the DA00 areas since there are
locking issues if the files are over nfs.

Your scheme would get in trouble I think with the DA00 area mostly.

DA00=$AIPS_ROOT/DA00/$HOST; export DA00

If all $HOSTS are LOCALHOST these will all be one area and everyone
would collide.  The tape daemons also use $DA00 so that would collapse
also.

I think you have to do it as designed - higher maintenance but it
works...