[daip] 31dec04 installation issues

Howard Powell hbp4c at virginia.edu
Wed Nov 10 17:11:12 EST 2004

I am installing the 31dec04 version of AIPS classic in a Linux network
environment at the UVa astronomy department.  I'm afraid I don't know
you all as well as some of the other people here in my department, so
forgive me if it seems silly that I'm emailing the daips list rather
than just walking up the street to talk with you guys since your office
is just around the corner.

I have installed 31dec04 in a fedora core 2 machine which is sharing
that directory along with others via NFS to all the Linux machines in
the department.  Aips has been installed as the aips user (aips group).

When setting up data areas, I would like to have each of the linux
machines have a /local/AIPS/DATA area for which each person using the
machine can work on their data.  Obviously, what I want to avoid is
running aips on data over an NFS share.  It would be nice if I could set
up the DADEVS.LIST file so that it points to a generic area which is
located locally on each machine, such as this area /local/AIPS/DATA
rather than have to have a /local/AIPS/DATA/$HOSTNAME for each machine
and an entry in DADEVS.LIST for each machine that will run aips.

I thought about it during the installation process during the step where
I could set the hostname as LOCALHOST doing that - so that the localhost
variable would be local to each machine when the aips program is run,
but then I realized that when sharing tapes this will probably cause
problems.

Has anyone else ever tried a similar setup and if so/not is there any
ways that I can do this?

Thanks for your help.
Howard

--

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
        Napoleon Bonaparte

Howard Powell
Astronomy Department Computer Support
Howard at virginia.edu