[daip] AIPS Error - missing SU table.

Robert Dunn rjhd2 at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 11:10:14 EST 2004

Dear AIPS

I have had a problem with the reduction of some data in AIPS using the
VLARUN pipeline - I outline the history and what attempts we have made
below.

I am working at the Institute of Astronomy in Cambridge, UK, and we
recently set up an AIPS installation with the help of Greg Taylor during
his visit here in September.  I am the only person using it on this site
at the moment, and have only had a few months experience with it.  I have
had no problems until the end of last week.

I added a new (the first new) user ID as  the number of files was getting
large and downloaded a number of sets of archive data to reduce.  However
only one of about 5 worked - the others came up with the following error
message:

SPLIT1: Appears to have ended successfully
SPLIT1: xpc17        31DEC04 TST: Cpu=       6.7  Real=      11
AIPS 1: Resumes
AIPS 1: Got(1)   disk= 1  user=1002   type=UV   NGC4636.L BAND.1
AIPS 1: Got(1)   disk= 1  user=1002   type=UV   NGC4636.L BAND.1
AIPS 1: TABINI: REQUESTED SU FILE   0 DOES NOT EXIST
AIPS 1: TABINI ERROR   2 OPEN FOR READ SU, TABLE  VER=  0
AIPS 1: DISK PROBLEM   CODES:       0      0

I asked Greg to check, just in case there was something wrong with the
data set and I just happened to have picked ~4 which didn't work, but he,
using exactly the same inputs on VLARUN as I had, had no problem

I tried changing the inputs to the pipeline but there was no luck.  Greg
suggested trying another new user ID as well as the original which also
produced the error message.  He also suggested that there may be a problem
with the permissions.  I had a root around in the /DATA/ directory and
changed all the permissions to be the same (that of the majority of
files).

An older dataset that I had managed to reduce before still runs fine with
the pipeline and produces a set of image files - in the old user ID as
well as the new one.

Can you suggest a reason for why my installation seems to loose SU tables
for some new datasets, whereas Greg's doesn't?

Thank you for your help - I look forward to hearing from you in the
future.

Robert Dunn

Institute of Astronomy
Cambridge