[daip] AIPS: solaris vs. redhat

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 3 10:55:41 EST 2004

Skinner Steve writes:

 >   I just figured out the problem and got
 >   wrtdisk to work.
 >
 >   The key seems to be to 'setenv MYAREA' in the same
 >   window as AIPS is started in, before starting
 >   AIPS.

Of course.  What setenv does is add an environment variable to the
process making and running the xterm.  Then when that process starts
aips, the aips child inherits all logicals.  If you create the logical
in some other window then aips' parent does not have it to give aips
or if you create it (e.g. with ctrl-z) after aips is started then
aips' inheriatnce is already fixed and will not change even though the
parent now has more to give.

Thanks for letting me know - I live in some terror of changes in OS's
to which we do not have easy access.