[daip] Re: 31DEC03-AIPS and PCQLinux9

Dharam Vir Lal dharam at ncra.tifr.res.in
Tue Jun 22 14:29:58 EDT 2004

dear Eric,

many thanks for your quick response.

>  > i had installed 31DEC03 version of AIPS (/home/aips/...)
>  > on my pentium IV machine, when i had RedHat Linux 9 on it.
>  > a week back, we faced problems with "X" related commands.
>  > so, we changed RedHat Linux 9 to PCQ Linux 9 !
>  >
>  > now, i find that all the TV based tasks, e.g. IMAGR/TVFLG/...
>  > of AIPS are terribly slow.
>  >
>  > could you please let us know, how can we fix this problem.
>  >

> I do not know what PCQ Linux 9 is.

PCQ Linux 9 is called as PC Quest Linux 9 (distributed by PC Quest
magazine), which is roughly similar to RedHat Linux 9.

> I would need to know much more about what you mean by "slow".  For
> example, is IMAGR slow when you run it with DOTV=-1?  Even with DOTV=+1
> it spends most of its time not in the TV mode, is it slow only when
> displaying/manipulating the image on the TV?

i was running IMAGR with DOTV=1 and similarly while running TVFLG.
it was slow only mainly while displaying/manipulating the image on TV.

> Have you tried TV=LOCAL when starting AIPS as well as the internet
> version of the TV.  When the TV starts what DISPLAY variable is used?
> (That is part of the messages that come out when it starts.)

all through after Linux installation, i have been running by just saying
"aips" (i.e. without TV=LOCAL) option.
yes, i just now did run with TV=LOCAL option, it did become a lot faster.
it is surprising "unix sockets" option is faster than "internet sockets".

i now re-ran by saying "AIPS" (without TV=LOCAL) and i did not find
IMAGR/TVFLG to be terribly slow as i had experienced earlier.

well, the messages that i got are as follows:

1) if i say just "aips" and run it gives the following
-----------------------
START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called urvashi
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on urvashi asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on URVASHI asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC03 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC03) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on urvashi
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
XASERVERS: Start XAS on urvashi, DISPLAY :0.0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: Using screen width height 1014 668, max grey level 255
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on urvashi, DISPLAY :0.0
245
AIPS 1:                          31DEC03 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit
>XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on urvashi, DISPLAY :0.0
-----------------------

2) and on saying "aips tv=local"
-----------------------
START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called urvashi
START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on URVASHI
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on urvashi asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on URVASHI asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC03 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC03) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on urvashi
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on urvashi, DISPLAY :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on urvashi, display :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on urvashi, display :0.0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: Using screen width height 1014 668, max grey level 255
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
245
AIPS 1:                          31DEC03 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit

any wisdom ... ?

with best regards,
Dharam.