[daip] RE: GNU 2.95.3 with RedHat Linux 7.3

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 1 19:04:49 EDT 2004

Hough, David H. writes:

 > Yes, we realize the need to be root, and we understand about
 > the install.pl procedure. But the problem is that we still
 > find no "gcc" compiler after following all the recommended
 > steps. We find an "xgcc" in the gcc-2.95.3/gcc directory,
 > but not a "gcc". On the theory that "xgcc" would work,
 > we copied it and "g77" to /usr/local/bin, but the INSTEP2
 > still bombs.
 >
 > Any further ideas?

Not really - "INSTEP2 bombs" does not really tell me much - there are
tons of reasons for that.  A short segment of INSTEP2.LOG with the
error message would help.

However, I do not think that your install of the compiler worked.  If
it did not put g77 and gcc (and other) executables in /usr/local/bin
then it did not work.