[daip] Re: GNU 2.95.3 with RedHat Linux 7.3

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 1 14:37:22 EDT 2004

Hough, David H. writes:

 > I'm trying to do a new installation of 31DEC03 AIPS, and I'm trying to follow
 > the instructions to use the GNU 2.95.3 compiler. I downloaded the tarball
 > into my /usr/local area (I did *not* destroy gcc, g77, etc. in bin, etc., below
 > /usr).  I unpacked it, which created a directory /usr/local/gcc-2.95.3.
 > I then did a "cd gcc-2.95.3", "./configure", "make bootstrap",  and
 > "make install". These all seemed to proceed without complaint. However,
 > the instructions say that the binaries are then accessed via /usr/local/bin/gcc
 > or /usr/local/bin/g77. But they are not in /usr/local/bin. I can find the g77

    Normally to write in /usr/local/bin you must be root.  The last
time I build the compiler I just put it in some other place following
the instructions on how to do that.  The install.pl proc asks on the
advanced page for information on which compilers to use for Fortran,
C, and linkediting and that is normally where you enter the correct
information to override the defaults.  This informations is also
stored in ~/.AIPSRC so before a restart you could edit that file.

Note that you should not be root when installing aips.