[daip] AIPS installation

jkainula at astro.helsinki.fi jkainula at astro.helsinki.fi
Wed Feb 25 15:04:10 EST 2004

 Hello,

 I have a problem concerning installation of AIPS. If this is not a proper place
to ask about it, I apologize.

 I've installed (succesfully as I understand) version 31DEC04 of AIPS to my
computer using binary installation via FTP. The problem is that despite all
instructions applied and modifictions made, the TV window doesn't appear when
starting AIPS. The TEKSERV and MSGSRV windows open normally.

The purpose is to use the AIPS only in this one workstation. As pointed out in
documents "Installation Summary" and "Installation Wizard", I've modified
/etc/services file to contain the tcp ports for different daemons and
/etc/rc.d/rc.local file to contain the definition of dummy network.

And I've also set my system to use 8 bit display as instructed in "AIPS Managers
FAQ".

 Now as I see it, I must start the AIPS with the TV=local and TPOK options. I've
attached the message lines from startup in the following:

*------------------------------
[aips at localhost ~]$ ./START_AIPS TV=local TPOK

START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV

You have a choice of 2 printers.  These are:

    No. [ type  ] Description
     1. [     PS] N
     2. [PS-CMYK] (no description supplied by installer)

START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the N
START_AIPS:  - system name printteri1, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /home/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on LOCALHOST
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Assuming TPMON daemons are running or not used (you said TPOK)
Starting up 31DEC04 AIPS with normal priority
UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on localhost
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY :0.0
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC04) at priority =   0
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?

My operating system is Linux RedHat 9, and I use the xterm terminal. The
computer has only network name localhost.localdomain. I'm not previously
familiar with AIPS system, so I've propably missed something here.

If You have time to help me with this, I'm very grateful.

 - Jouni Kainulainen
   University of Helsinki, Department of Astronomy
   Jouni.Kainulainen at helsinki.fi