[daip] tape problems

David A. Boboltz dboboltz at usno.navy.mil
Wed Feb 18 13:43:34 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm having lots of problems with AIPS and tapes.  We have two
machines one is nuit, a linux box, which has the 31DEC04 as version
TST and 31DEC03 as version NEW.  The MNJ is running on it, and it has
a DDS2 tape drive.  The second machine is geb, an old HP machine
which has the 31DEC01 AIPS running on it.  The only thing we use
the HP for is its DDS3 drive for reading and writing with AIPS.
Recently some funny things have been happening when trying to
access the DDS3 drive on the HP machine remotely from the
Linux machine.

The tape appears to mount OK

>intap 3
>remhost 'geb'
>remtap 1
>mount
AIPS 2: Mounted on DAT tape drive with (unsupported!) partitions on host
         geb

But when I try to do a REWIND or AVFILE, I get the following error:

>rewind
AIPS 2: ZTPOPR: REMOTE TAPE SYSTEM RETURNS ERROR CODE     99
AIPS 2: ZTPOPN: REMOTE OPEN ERROR  99 TO geb
AIPS 2: TAPIO: ERROR  99 OPENING FILE
AIPS 2: INVALID TAPE

If I try to read from the tape or write to the tape I get another
error (this is with the 'TST' version of AIPS).

>version 'tst'
>inp
AIPS 2: TCOPY:  Task to copy the contents of one tape to another
AIPS 2: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 2: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 2: INTAPE        3                    Tape drive # (0 => 1)
AIPS 2: NFILES        0                    # of files to advance on tape
AIPS 2: NCOUNT      999                    # of files to copy 0=>all
AIPS 2: INFILE     '                                                '
AIPS 2:                                    if nonblank = FITS disk file
AIPS 2: OUTTAPE       0                    Tape drive #.  0 => 2
AIPS 2: DOEOT        -1                    1 (T) go to end tape first.
AIPS 2: OUTFILE    'MYAREA:RDV26                                    '
AIPS 2:                                    if nonblank = FITS disk file
>go
TCOPY2: Task TCOPY  (release of 31DEC04) begins
TCOPY2: ZFULLN: NO TRANSLATION FOR LNAME='MT02'
TCOPY2: ZTPOPN: NO SUCH LOGICAL DEVICE = MT02:MTD001001;
TCOPY2: TAPE OPEN ERROR      3 ON INPUT
TCOPY2: ZTPCLS: LSERCH ERROR =   1 ON SRCH FOR LUN =  33
TCOPY2: ZTPCLS: LSERCH ERROR =   4 ON SRCH FOR LUN =   0
TCOPY2: WARNING: NO files copied
TCOPY2: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
TCOPY2: nuit         31DEC04 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0
AIPS 2: Resumes
AIPS 2: RETURN CODE      2 RECEIVED: STOPPING

But if I switch to version 'NEW' then I seem to be able to read
and write to the tape.

>version 'new'
>inp
AIPS 2: Found in Version=NEW
AIPS 2: TCOPY:  Task to copy the contents of one tape to another
AIPS 2: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 2: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 2: INTAPE        3                    Tape drive # (0 => 1)
AIPS 2: NFILES        0                    # of files to advance on tape
AIPS 2: NCOUNT      999                    # of files to copy 0=>all
AIPS 2: INFILE     '                                                '
AIPS 2:                                    if nonblank = FITS disk file
AIPS 2: OUTTAPE       0                    Tape drive #.  0 => 2
AIPS 2: DOEOT        -1                    1 (T) go to end tape first.
AIPS 2: OUTFILE    'MYAREA:RDV26                                    '
AIPS 2:                                    if nonblank = FITS disk file
>go
AIPS 2: Found in Version=NEW
TCOPY2: Task TCOPY  (release of 31DEC03) begins
TCOPY2: Copied file      1,    162.835 Mbyte
TCOPY2: Copied      1 files totaling    162.835 Mbyte
TCOPY2: Appears to have ended successfully
TCOPY2: nuit         31DEC03 NEW: Cpu=       8.4  Real=     301
AIPS 2: Resumes
mv RDV

Doesn't seem to matter whether it is a DDS3 tape or a DDSIIII tape in
the drive.  This drive was working fine the last time I tried to
use it remotely, about a month ago.  Any ideas?  I tried restarting
the TPMON daemons on both machines.

Dave

--
  Dr. David A. Boboltz