[daip] forwarded message from Eric Greisen

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Feb 18 15:12:43 EST 2004

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu>
To: "David A. Boboltz" <dboboltz at usno.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: [daip] tape problems
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:11:54 -0700

David A. Boboltz writes:

 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm having lots of problems with AIPS and tapes.  We have two
 > machines one is nuit, a linux box, which has the 31DEC04 as version
 > TST and 31DEC03 as version NEW.  The MNJ is running on it, and it has
 > a DDS2 tape drive.  The second machine is geb, an old HP machine
 > which has the 31DEC01 AIPS running on it.  The only thing we use
 > the HP for is its DDS3 drive for reading and writing with AIPS.
 > Recently some funny things have been happening when trying to
 > access the DDS3 drive on the HP machine remotely from the
 > Linux machine.
 >
 > The tape appears to mount OK

       The MNJ does issue a report every day - people who run it
should read it.  Had you done so, you would have noticed that we
changed the LUNs used by AIPS for tapes from 31-30+NTAPED to 128
through 129-NTAPED.  This has the unfortunate affect of making older
and the current aips incompatible for remote tapes.  Version NEW
(31DEC03) can talk to older versions of TPMON.  You could bring the HP
installation up to date - in fact we do have a concept of a server
only aips installation for the MNJ at least.  See the JENLAN entry in
$UPDUNIX/UPDCONFIG for an example.  One needs only compile APLSUB and
APLGEN parts of INSTEP2 and then link
$AIPNOT/{TPMON,TVSERV,TEKSRV,MSGSRV) and XAS to let the HP even act as
an aips terminal.

Eric Greisen